Classic Callos Recipe
Celebrate our Spanish culinary heritage with this amazing Classic Callos recipe!
Categories Main Dish, Beef, Del Monte Tomato Sauce, Pinoy Dishes
Preparation Time25 min.
Cooking Time2 hrs. and 20 mins.
Number of Servings 1
- 1 kg beef tripe, cleaned and sliced
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 Tbsp peppercorn
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 pcs bay leaf/laurel leaf
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp garlic, crushed
- 2/3 cup onion, red, sliced
- 1/4 cup chorizo de bilbao, sliced
- 1 1/3 cups carrot, sliced
- 2 pouches DEL MONTE Original Style Tomato Sauce (200g)
- 1 cup garbanzos, cooked
- 1/2 cup green olives, pitted
- 2 Tbsp red wine or mompo
- 1 can sausage, vienna (225g), drained and sliced
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, red, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, green, cut into strips
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper, black
- 1/3 cup cheese, grated
Cooking Tools Needed
- Chopping Board
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoon
Cooking Skills Needed
- Boil tripe in enough water for 5 minutes to remove the scum. Drain and discard the broth.
- Boil again in 5 cups water with peppercorn, salt, and laurel 1 hour and 30 minutes or until tender. Drain. Reserve broth.
- Sauté garlic, onion, tripe, chorizo, and carrot in olive oil for 3 minutes. Add DEL MONTE Original Style Tomato Sauce, 1 1/2 to 2 cups broth, and remaining ingredients except cheese.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cheese. Allow to simmer until cheese is incorporated.
Lusog NotesThis dish is high in vitamin A that helps protect one from infections and maintains healthy skin. It also has calcium that helps build bones and teeth and helps keep them strong.
Chef's TipBoiling the tripe for the first time is not meant to cook the tripe. It is meant to blanch the meat and remove any impurities and unpleasant smell from the tripe.
You also might be interested in
Fruity Choco Gelatin Recipe
Here's a simple dessert that you can prepare ahead for a truly memorable meal.
Pork meets seafood in this classic Pinoy dish!