Citrus Pine Mechado Recipe
Add a sweet and tangy flavor to your regular mechado.
Categories Main Dish, Beef, Del Monte Pineapple, Pinoy Dishes
Preparation Time15 min.
Cooking Time3 hrs. and 46 mins.
Number of Servings 7
- 250 g beef, chuck/kalitiran (beef round or beef brisket), cut into chunks
- 1 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 pc lemon, squeeze the juice and divide into 2, mince the zest
- 2 1/2 Tbsp oil, for browning
- 2 1/2 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup garlic, crushed
- 5 pcs Sibuyas Tagalog/shallots cut into half
- - salt, to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper, black
- 2 pcs bay leaf/laurel leaf
- 1 pouch DEL MONTE Original Style Tomato Sauce (200g)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 Tbsp oil, for frying
- 1 cup sweet potato, cut into chunks
- 1 pouch DEL MONTE Pineapple Tidbits (115g), drained, reserve syrup
- 3 Tbsp bell pepper, red, cut into 1-inch squares
- 3 Tbsp bell pepper, green, cut into 1-inch squares
Cooking Tools Needed
- Chopping Board
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoon
Cooking Skills Needed
- Marinate beef in soy sauce, reserved pineapple syrup and half of lemon juice.
- In a pan, heat the oil then brown the meat in batches and set aside.
- In the same pan, add oil then sauté garlic and shallots over low heat until fragrant. Add browned beef and cook for 2 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, and bayleaf.
- Add the DEL MONTE Original Style Tomato Sauce and water. Bring to a boil and lower down heat and simmer until meat is tender. In a separate pan, fry sweet potato while simmering the meat.
- When the meat is tender, add the DEL MONTE Pineapple Tidbits, bell peppers, and sweet potato.
- Add remaining lemon juice just before serving and sprinkle with lemon zest.
Lusog NotesThis Citrus Pine Mechado recipe is source of vitamin A that helps maintain healthy skin and vitamin C which aids in wound healing and helps resist infections.
Chef's TipThe reserved syrup is naturally sweet when added to the marinade, it will not only give added flavor but also help in browning the meat as the sugar caramelizes. Be sure to put the heat on medium when frying so that the meat does not burn.
You also might be interested in
Tanigue Steak with Pineapple Sauce and Tropical Salsa Recipe
A tropical take on your favorite tanigue steak.
Tuna Piña Ala Pobre Recipe
Light on the tummy but not on taste. Try this for your next weekend lunch or dinner!